- Enters his second season as Red Sox Third Base Coach…Was named to the position on 10/30/12...Orono, Maine, native has 35 years of experience in professional baseball, including 17 seasons coaching at the ML level.
- Spent 11 years as a coach in the Blue Jays organization…Had 2 stints as third base coach (2002-07, 2010-12), and worked on John Farrell's staff in 2011-12...Was Toronto's bench coach from 2008-09.
- Previously served on ML staffs under Buck Showalter both with the Yankees and Diamondbacks…Was NYY's first base coach in 1994-95, and the third base and infield coach for ARI from 1998-2000.
- Managed for parts of six minor league seasons in the Yankees system and compiled a 300-293 (.506) record at Rookie-level Sarasota (1988), Short-A Oneonta (1989), Single-A Greensboro (1990), High-A Fort Lauderdale (1992), High-A Tampa (2001), and Triple-A Columbus (April-May, 2002).
- In first season as a Minor League manager in 1988, earned Gulf Coast League Manager of the Year honors after guiding Sarasota to the league championship...Led his Tampa Yankees squad to a share of the Florida State League title in 2001.
- Spent 1996-97 with ARI working as a roving infield instructor, Minor League manager, and scout of ML talent in preparation for the expansion draft.
- Served four seasons as a Minor League coach in the NYY system with stops at Single-A Fort Lauderdale (1985), Triple-A Columbus (1986), Short-A Oneonta (1987), and Double-A Albany-Colonie (1993).
- Began post-playing career as a roving infield instructor in the Yankees organization in 1984, a position he also later held in 1991.
- Signed by the Yankees as a free agent in 1979...Played 397 minor league games over five seasons in the New York (1979-82) and San Diego (1983) systems while appearing primarily at second base.
- Earned team MVP honors in 1981 with High-A Fort Lauderdale when he hit .286 in 94 games with seven doubles and 27 RBI.
- Married to Jan...The couple has two sons, John and Chris. - Attended the University of Maine as a freshman in 1976 and lettered in baseball and basketball.
- Transferred to Valencia Community College and was named Florida Junior College Player of the Year in 1977.
- Moved to Florida Southern College for two years and was a member of the 1978 National Championship Team... Following his 1st professional season, returned to coach in the fall at Florida Southern in 1979 and completed his bachelor's degree in physical education at the college in 1980.
- Worked as an assistant coach at Eckerd College in 1980-81.
- Is the son of the late Jack Butterfield who at one time served as Vice President of Player Development and Scouting for the Yankees.