The Twins are spending their 23rd Spring Training season at the Lee County Sports Complex in 2013. Spurred by the state-of-the-art facility, the Twins won the 1991 World Series after enjoying their most successful spring training camp in history as they posted a record-high 21 wins.
The Lee County Complex is home to the Twins and their six minor league affiliates. It features five full and two half-fields, the centerpiece of which is a 7,500-seat stadium in which the major league Twins play their exhibition games and conduct some of their daily workouts. The main stadium was renamed Bill Hammond Stadium late in the 1994 spring season in honor of the Deputy County Commissioner who was instrumental in getting the complex built for the Twins.
The Sports Complex is the home to two of Minnesota's minor league affiliates, housing both the Miracle of the Class A Florida State League and the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League Twins.
Complete home and visiting clubhouses are included in the stadium proper, and complete facilities for the minor league teams are contained in a building adjacent to their playing fields. The Major League club's administrative offices are located in the stadium, with the minor league department's offices in the building adjacent to their fields.
The complex also features two soccer fields, a softball complex and other athletic facilities for use by Lee County organizations, plus an eight-acre water-management lake for public fishing.
The Twins trained in Orlando, Fla., from 1936 to 1990 (with the exception of the war years of 1943-45, when they conditioned in College Park, Md.), and their minor league clubs moved to Terry Park in Fort Myers in 1990, after headquartering in Melbourne, Fla., from 1964-89.
The Lee County Sports Complex, a $14 million undertaking, was completed in February 1991. Lescher and Mahoney, an architectural and engineering firm based in Tampa, Fla., were the lead architects for the project, with design assistance from Ellerbe-Becket of Kansas City, Mo. Case Contracting Company of Plant City, Fla., was the contractor. The Twins and Lee County have a 20-year agreement for use of the complex.
The Lee County Complex is located south of the city of Fort Myers near Interstate Highway 75.