08/03/10 12:40 AM ET
Teammates applaud Hart's extension
By Adam McCalvy and Jordan Schelling / MLB.com
Left fielder Ryan Braun, who's signed through the 2015 season, was happy for Hart.
"It's exciting, I'm excited for him. He's had to overcome a lot," Braun said. "I think it's just a sign of his character and his perseverance. I think he's a great teammate and he's a great player. He's a great person to have as one of your core guys to build around for the franchise."
Drafted by Milwaukee in the 11th round of the 2000 First-Year Player Draft, the 28-year-old Hart is the longest-tenured player in the organization.
Right up there with Hart is left-handed starter Manny Parra, who was drafted in the 26th round in 2001. Having grown close to Hart over the years, Parra was happy to see the Brewers sign him long term.
"I think after people were doubting what he was able to do, it's great," Parra said. "Last year was a below-par year for what he's capable of doing, and he's proving that this year. For him to redeem himself like that is great."
Hart's teammates were especially happy for him considering those circumstances, as Hart struggled in 2009 and in Spring Training this season, eventually leading to his name being left of the All-Star ballot and out of the Opening Day starting lineup.
"Anything could have happened in Spring Training," said Brewers manager Ken Macha, referring to the uncertainty surrounding Hart at the time. "Now he's put himself in a position to get this contract."
-- Jordan Schelling
Gallardo returns to form in Brewers' romp
CHICAGO -- With the Brewers putting up 26 hits against the Cubs, the offense stole the show in Monday night's 18-1 win. But right-handed starter Yovani Gallardo was pretty impressive in his own right.
Gallardo went six strong innings in his third outing since coming off the disabled list, giving up just one run on two hits. More impressively, though, Gallardo tied a career high with 12 strikeouts.
"I thought Yo threw the ball pretty well," said Brewers manager Ken Macha. "He had good command on his low [outside pitches] in particular.
"He was hitting that little box down there, down and away, with consistency."
After rolling through six innings, Gallardo was removed after just 95 pitches, due in large part to the Brewers' 13-1 lead at the time.
Macha noted that the need for some of his relievers to get some work played a part in the decision as well.
"We've got to get [LaTroy] Hawkins going again," said Macha, referring to the veteran right-hander, who has recently returned from a 2 1/2-month stint on the disabled list. "[Trevor] Hoffman and [John] Axford both hadn't pitched in five days. So we needed to get both those guys in there."
Gallardo's outing was particularly impressive, considering the way his previous start -- against the Reds -- had gone.
Last time out, Gallardo struggled, giving up six earned runs on 10 hits in 2 2/3 innings of work.
"Every time I help the team win, it's a pretty good day at the ballpark," Gallardo said. "Obviously, my last start wasn't very good. You can't worry about one [bad] start, we're all going to have them. You've just got to bounce back and keep moving forward."
At the plate, Gallardo reached base after being hit by a pitch in the third, but finished as the only player in the Brewers' starting lineup without a hit.
That was just fine with Gallardo.
"I'll take how the day went today," he said. "Any time I get up there and get a hit, it's a bonus. Let the hitters do their job and I'll do the pitching."
That formula worked pretty well for the Brewers on Monday.
-- Jordan Schelling
Crew's Gomez gets CT scan after beaning
CHICAGO -- The Brewers' 18-1 win over the Cubs on Monday night didn't come without a scary moment. Outfielder Carlos Gomez was struck in the head by a pitch in the eighth inning and taken to the hospital for a CT scan, according to manager Ken Macha.No further information on Gomez's condition was available Monday night. The Brewers were leading, 16-1, when Cubs reliever Brian Schlitter fired a high and tight pitch that struck Gomez, who hit the dirt and remained there for several minutes before walking off the field complaining of dizziness. "I understand [the umpires] gave us a warning," acting Cubs manager Alan Trammell said. "I wouldn't be very happy if one of our players was hit in the head. It was not intentional. At the same time, I can understand why they were upset." Brewers batters have been hit 55 times this season, most in the Majors. Prince Fielder said he was more concerned than upset. "It was scary," Fielder said. "I wasn't irritated. I just don't want anybody to get hurt."
-- Adam McCalvy
MRI negative, Wolf eyes next start
CHICAGO -- When Hunter Pence ripped a liner back up the middle off Randy Wolf in the seventh inning of the Brewers' 5-2 loss on Sunday in Houston, the Milwaukee left-hander couldn't get out of the way.
Since that ball struck Wolf's left wrist, though, he's dodged quite a bullet with his health.
An MRI scan of Wolf's wrist confirmed what an X-ray revealed Sunday, that Wolf had no fractures despite being struck with the line drive.
"I don't think there was anybody around that area at the time that didn't think it was a broken wrist," Wolf said. "But I got lucky. I dodged a bullet.
"I guess I was lucky it hit me on that big bone instead of all those little bones."
Wolf was diagnosed with a bruise and was scheduled to be reevaluated by the Brewers' medical staff Monday after playing catch before the game to determine how much time, if any, he will miss.
His next scheduled start would be Saturday, again against the Astros, but this time at Miller Park. In Wolf's opinion, he's not likely to miss that start.
"It feels normal," he said. "In my mind, I'm planning on pitching on Saturday."
Brewers manager Ken Macha, on the other hand, may take a more cautious approach.
"We'll see what's happening with him," Macha said. "Because of the off-day on Thursday, he doesn't necessarily have to be on Saturday. I think Tuesday would be the night we need five [starters] again."
-- Jordan Schelling
Weeks could be next in line for new deal
CHICAGO -- While announcing the Brewers' three-year contract extension with Corey Hart on Monday, general manager Doug Melvin said he's had at least the beginnings of similar conversations with the agent for second baseman Rickie Weeks.
Those talks are complicated because Weeks' agent since he was the second overall pick in the 2003 Draft has been Lon Babby, who last month moved on to become president of the NBA's Phoenix Suns. Melvin said Weeks is still in the process of settling his representation for the future.
"We're always open to sitting down and talking about [an extension]," Melvin said. "A lot of times, it's about the timing. A few years ago, the timing wasn't right [with Hart]. We're not going to run out of the room here and sign three more guys, but we will have a plan or at least be open to discussions."
Weeks is healthy this year and having the kind of season the Brewers envisioned when they made him the second-overall pick in the 2003 First-Year Player Draft. He entered the Brewers' three-game series against the Cubs with a .276 batting average, 22 home runs and 67 RBIs. He leads Major League leadoff hitters in home runs and RBIs, and is second among those players with 70 runs scored.
The Brewers own Weeks' rights for one more year of arbitration eligibility before he reaches free agency following the 2011 season. First baseman Prince Fielder is on the same contractual clock, and so was Hart until he signed his extension.
Some of Weeks' teammates said it's logical that he might be next.
"I know there are some other things in the works," outfielder Ryan Braun said with a smile. "Let's see what happens."
-- Adam McCalvy
Legendary broadcaster Bob Uecker met the Brewers in Chicago on Monday, working his first road series with the club since April 20-22 in Pittsburgh. ... Brewers manager Ken Macha said before Monday's game he was thinking about "reshuffling" the bullpen a bit and using LaTroy Hawkins more often while resting Kameron Loe a bit more. ... The Brewers' 28-inning scoreless streak, which was snapped by a Corey Hart two-run homer on Sunday, was the longest for the club since a 28-inning streak from Sept. 25-28, 1974.
Adam McCalvy is a reporter and Jordan Schelling is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.