01/20/2010 11:15 AM ET
Brewers announce plans to commemorate 40th anniversary season
Anniversary Logo Unveiled Today
MILWAUKEE - The Milwaukee Brewers today announced plans to celebrate the Club's 40th Anniversary Season in 2010, which include numerous special events and promotions both on and off the field.
The Brewers will host four "Retro Weekends" during the 2010 season, designating one decade to each weekend to highlight that specific era in Brewers history. The first of the four Retro Weekends will honor the 1970s Brewers teams during the weekend of May 14 - 16 when the Brewers take on the Philadelphia Phillies at Miller Park. The following month, when the Brewers face the Seattle Mariners over the weekend of June 25 - 27, the Brewers will look back to the 1980s. Then, throughout the weekend of July 23 - 25 when the Brewers play the Washington Nationals, the team will honor the Brewers of the 1990s. The celebration will culminate when the team recognizes the 2000s during the weekend of August 27 - 29 as the Brewers play the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Each weekend will feature the return of alumni from those decades, and on the first three Fridays, the current Brewers will don retro Brewers uniforms from the celebrated era. On each Sunday of the Retro Weekend, all fans will receive a Bobblehead representing one of the greatest moments in the Club's history. To supplement the special uniforms and all-fan giveaways, the in-game experience during those Retro Weekends will include trivia, music and costume contests reflective of the particular decade.
A special 40th Anniversary logo (attached) is also being introduced today and will be featured on a patch to be worn on the Brewers home, road, and alternate uniforms throughout the 2010 season. Special apparel will also include the logo and will be available for the first time at Brewers On Deck (January 31) and the Brewers Team Store by Majestic. The logo evokes the history of the team and the brewing industry--the industry that the Club owes its name to--by using the classic "Beer Barrel" design behind the current "M" logo."
In addition, throughout the season, Brewers fans will have the opportunity to vote on the 40 greatest moments of Milwaukee Brewers baseball with the "40 Years/40 Moments" promotion. The initiative is being coordinated in partnership with FOX Sports Wisconsin and Brewers.com, and with assistance from Newsradio 620 WTMJ. The promotion will conclude with an announcement of the Greatest Moments in Milwaukee Brewers history - as selected by fans and media - at the end of the season. Additional information regarding fan voting will be announced in April.
Details regarding each Retro Weekend follow:
1970s Retro Weekend
1980s Retro Weekend
- May 14 - Brewers to wear reproductions of the home 1972-77 uniforms with "BREWERS" in royal blue block letters on the front of the jerseys and the yellow "M" logo on the cap. The Phillies will be wearing light blue uniforms worn on the road throughout most of the 1970s.
- May 14 - Alumni Gorman Thomas and Jim Colborn are scheduled to attend and participate in a pre-game autograph session.
- May 16 - All Fan Bobblehead Giveaway, courtesy of the Milk Marketing Board: Hank Aaron hitting his 755th and final home run as a member of the Brewers.
- "40 Years/40 Moments" - Brewers Greatest Moments of the 1970s will be revealed throughout the weekend on FOX Sports Wisconsin.
1990s Retro Weekend
- June 25 - Brewers to wear reproductions of the home 1978-89 uniforms. The uniform is highlighted by pinstripes with "BREWERS" block letters on the front and a ball & glove logo hat. The Mariners will be wearing light blue uniforms worn on the road from 1981 to 1984.
- June 25 - Alumni Robin Yount and Jim Gantner are scheduled to attend and participate in a pre-game autograph session.
- June 27 - All Fan Bobblehead Giveaway, courtesy of RedPrairie: Cecil Cooper's base hit to drive home the tying and winning runs in Game Five of the 1982 ALCS.
- "40 Years/40 Moments" - Brewers Greatest Moments of the 1980s will be revealed throughout the weekend on FOX Sports Wisconsin.
2000s Retro Weekend
- July 23 - Brewers to wear reproductions of the home 1997-99 uniforms. The jersey has "BREWERS" in block letters on the front, while the cap features an "M" logo. The Nationals will be wearing their current uniforms.
- July 23 - Alumni Greg Vaughn and Jeff Cirillo are scheduled to attend and participate in a pre-game autograph session.
- July 25 - All Fan Bobblehead Giveaway: Robin Yount recording his 3000th career base hit.
- "40 Years/40 Moments" - Brewers Greatest Moments of the 1990s will be revealed throughout the weekend on FOX Sports Wisconsin.
- August 27 - Brewers and Pirates to wear current uniforms.
- August 27 - Alumni Geoff Jenkins and Bob Wickman are scheduled to attend and participate in a pre-game autograph session.
- August 29 - All Fan Bobblehead Giveaway, courtesy of Palermo's: CC Sabathia securing the final out of the final regular season, playoff-clinching game in 2008.
- "40 Years/40 Moments" - Brewers Greatest Moments of the 2000s will be revealed throughout the weekend on FOX Sports Wisconsin.