Brewers Press Release
Fifteen Students to Receive Scholarships with Help of Brewers Community Foundation and Brewers Players
Scholars to be Recognized in a Pre-game Ceremony Tonight at Miller Park
MILWAUKEE – Fifteen Wisconsin students will be attending college this fall with the help of the Brewers Community Foundation’s Selig Scholars Program, Player Scholarships donated by several Milwaukee Brewers players and the Michael J. Bonan Scholarship Fund.
With the Class of 2012, a total of 99 students have now been selected as scholarships recipients since 2003. Seven students will receive Selig Scholarships, named in honor of former Brewers President and current Commissioner of Baseball Allan H. (Bud) Selig. Six students will receive Player Scholarships and two will receive Michael J. Bonan Scholarships.
The Selig Scholars receive $10,000 over four years, while Player Scholarship recipients receive one-year scholarships in the amount of $2,500 through funds donated by Brewers players Ryan Braun, Marco Estrada, Yovani Gallardo, Mat Gamel, Carlos Gomez, Alex Gonzalez, Mike McClendon, Logan Schafer and former Brewer Brooks Conrad. The Michael J. Bonan Scholars receive one-year scholarships in the amount of $2,000 through funds donated to the Michael J. Bonan Scholarship Fund in memory of Michael Bonan.
The students and their families will attend tonight’s game and the scholars will be honored on the field in a pre-game ceremony. As they attend college, the students will also be invited to participate in a variety of volunteer and internship opportunities offered through Brewers Community Foundation.
The Class of 2012, along with their college choices and scholarship type, is as follows:
- Steven Joseph Berg, Jr. – UW – Madison (Player Scholarship)
- Casby Bias – Marquette University (Player Scholarship)
- Donovan Blakney – Miami University of Ohio (Michael J. Bonan Scholarship)
- Alan Yohualle Chavoya – Marquette University (Selig Scholar)
- Adriana Cordero – Marquette University (Selig Scholar)
- Kristin Enea – UW – Madison (Selig Scholar)
- Jordan Gaines – UW – Madison (Selig Scholar)
- Tisha Hang – Mount Mary College (Player Scholarship)
- Ashley Hewing – Cardinal Stritch (Player Scholarship)
- Emilio Lopez – UW – River Falls (Selig Scholar)
- Keshawna Moore – Alverno College (Selig Scholar)
- Nina Oldroyd – Marquette University (Player Scholarship)
- Israel Powell – UW – Whitewater (Selig Scholar)
- Adam Voss – UW – Parkside (Michael J. Bonan Scholarship)
- Sierra West – UW – Parkside (Player Scholarship)